Respiratory Therapy in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Respiratory Therapists are specialist healthcare practitioners who treat patients with who suffer from asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Their work is, perhaps, one of the most demanding, intense and important among all the healthcare practitioners. These people provide life support for patients in the most critical situations. Their work is crucial because its success determines if a person survives, as they are responsible for stabilizing patient’s condition for the rest crew of doctors to be able to proceed with their work in emergency department or operating room. This profession is highly specialized, we encourage you to read further to discover more about this profession and the courses and training available at schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to prepare you for the challenges this career offers.
Typical Activities Involved in Being a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and New York
Respiratory Therapists perform a wide variety of activities because they are to provide a range of different services to their patents. The basic services and skills which all the practitioners in the field of Respiratory Therapy should provide and acquire include:
- Disease assessment and diagnosis;
- Patient’s condition management and treatment;
- Development of proper course applying analytical thinking, which includes prescribing medications and designing a program for exercise training; and Patient’s support and counseling in order to teach them how to manage their disease and control their condition.
However, depending on the role of respiratory therapist, some specific activities may be required:
- Asthma specialists educate people in all healthcare and educational facilities on asthma and all the kinds of allergy;
- Anesthesia assistants provide assistance to an anesthesiologist during the operation and may perform anesthesia in case of emergency;
- Some respiratory therapists wok with oncologists in management and treatment of cystic fibrosis in patients with cancer adhering the developed treatment plan to their specific needs;
- Professionals working in intensive care medicine are to manage extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) to avoid heart and respiratory failure. These procedures may be performed only be registered respiratory therapists;
- Surface and air transport specialists are the respiratory practitioners who support people’s lives in air and ground medical services;
- Sleep disorder specialist investigate and research cases during sleep to manage sleep disorders;
- Respiratory scientists work in team with pulmonologists to carry out clinic studies to enhance the knowledge about humans’ anatomy and develop effective ways of treatment of the cardiopulmonary diseases.
Respiratory Therapy Schools in New York
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- BS - Rehabilitation Sciences
- Certified Nurses Aide
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy, that career can be yours.
- Massage Therapy
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
Dreaming of a future in Cosmetology? Enjoy the personal rewards of helping people look and feel their best.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Specific Study, Training and Courses Required to Become a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and New York
To master a profession of a respiratory therapist, it is necessary first to obtain a degree or relevant course in respiratory science and therapy. Then one must pass the examinations and certification. Thus, the first step is to follow one of the associate programs, which are offered by various educational institutions.
We recommend that you consult the schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to determine the most appropriate course and training program as well as the procedures for undertaking the exams. Most course takes a minimum of 18 months to complete.
Academic Subjects that Are Covered by Respiratory Therapy Courses in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Becoming a respiratory specialist requires one taking several steps.
- Step number one is getting at least an associate degree.
- Step number two is enrolling in a respiratory therapy program and completing a two-year therapy-training program provided by an accredited training provider or school in Brookhaven NY and greater New York.
- Step number three is passing clinical hands-on program
- Step number four is getting cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification and getting a license (it is usually required in some states).
As a respiratory specialist, one will have to obtain basic medical education and thus, master all related academic subjects. As there are many colleges and schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York that offer respiratory therapy programs, the curriculum may differ a bit. However, you will definitely learn such disciplines as cardiopulmonary physiology, pathophysiology, human anatomy, microbiology and biomedical engineering and technology. In other words, you will deal with all the science-oriented courses offered by a chosen program.
Median Salary of a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Today, there is an increase in employment of respiratory technologist and therapists, according to the top list of the most demanded jobs, this one is one of the fastest growing professions. In the year 2011, the average yearly salary of the therapist was $ 55,250. In the year 2013, the average hourly salary for the respiratory specialist is $27.05, making it $56,260 per year. However, you should remember that there are several factors that influence earnings, those are your experience, certification, education and, of course, state.
To be a good respiratory therapist, you should maintain your certificate by taking appropriate courses and constantly improving your skills and knowledge. We encourage you to contact the schools and training providers in your local area, Brookhaven NY and greater New York to find out more about the courses and educational training available to advance your career prospects.