Respiratory Therapy in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Respiratory Therapists are specialist healthcare practitioners who treat patients with who suffer from asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Their work is, perhaps, one of the most demanding, intense and important among all the healthcare practitioners. These people provide life support for patients in the most critical situations. Their work is crucial because its success determines if a person survives, as they are responsible for stabilizing patient’s condition for the rest crew of doctors to be able to proceed with their work in emergency department or operating room. This profession is highly specialized, we encourage you to read further to discover more about this profession and the courses and training available at schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to prepare you for the challenges this career offers.
Typical Activities Involved in Being a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and New York
Respiratory Therapists perform a wide variety of activities because they are to provide a range of different services to their patents. The basic services and skills which all the practitioners in the field of Respiratory Therapy should provide and acquire include:
- Disease assessment and diagnosis;
- Patient’s condition management and treatment;
- Development of proper course applying analytical thinking, which includes prescribing medications and designing a program for exercise training; and Patient’s support and counseling in order to teach them how to manage their disease and control their condition.
However, depending on the role of respiratory therapist, some specific activities may be required:
- Asthma specialists educate people in all healthcare and educational facilities on asthma and all the kinds of allergy;
- Anesthesia assistants provide assistance to an anesthesiologist during the operation and may perform anesthesia in case of emergency;
- Some respiratory therapists wok with oncologists in management and treatment of cystic fibrosis in patients with cancer adhering the developed treatment plan to their specific needs;
- Professionals working in intensive care medicine are to manage extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) to avoid heart and respiratory failure. These procedures may be performed only be registered respiratory therapists;
- Surface and air transport specialists are the respiratory practitioners who support people’s lives in air and ground medical services;
- Sleep disorder specialist investigate and research cases during sleep to manage sleep disorders;
- Respiratory scientists work in team with pulmonologists to carry out clinic studies to enhance the knowledge about humans’ anatomy and develop effective ways of treatment of the cardiopulmonary diseases.
Respiratory Therapy Schools in New York
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Patient Care Technician
- Physical Therapy Aide
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Certified Nurses Aide
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Massage Therapy
The Center For Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy Offers:
- Full-time and Part-time Classes
- Hands-On Training in multiple modalities of bodywork
- Experienced and Dedicated Faculty
- Innovative and Cutting-edge Curriculum
- Financial Aid for those who qualify
- Scholarship and Grant Opportunities
- LIFETIME Career Placement Services
The Center for Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy is the perfect place to start training for your massage therapy career.
- Diploma in Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy-CERT
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Esthetics - Day
- Esthetics - Eve
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Specific Study, Training and Courses Required to Become a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and New York
To master a profession of a respiratory therapist, it is necessary first to obtain a degree or relevant course in respiratory science and therapy. Then one must pass the examinations and certification. Thus, the first step is to follow one of the associate programs, which are offered by various educational institutions.
We recommend that you consult the schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to determine the most appropriate course and training program as well as the procedures for undertaking the exams. Most course takes a minimum of 18 months to complete.
Academic Subjects that Are Covered by Respiratory Therapy Courses in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Becoming a respiratory specialist requires one taking several steps.
- Step number one is getting at least an associate degree.
- Step number two is enrolling in a respiratory therapy program and completing a two-year therapy-training program provided by an accredited training provider or school in Brookhaven NY and greater New York.
- Step number three is passing clinical hands-on program
- Step number four is getting cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification and getting a license (it is usually required in some states).
As a respiratory specialist, one will have to obtain basic medical education and thus, master all related academic subjects. As there are many colleges and schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York that offer respiratory therapy programs, the curriculum may differ a bit. However, you will definitely learn such disciplines as cardiopulmonary physiology, pathophysiology, human anatomy, microbiology and biomedical engineering and technology. In other words, you will deal with all the science-oriented courses offered by a chosen program.
Median Salary of a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Today, there is an increase in employment of respiratory technologist and therapists, according to the top list of the most demanded jobs, this one is one of the fastest growing professions. In the year 2011, the average yearly salary of the therapist was $ 55,250. In the year 2013, the average hourly salary for the respiratory specialist is $27.05, making it $56,260 per year. However, you should remember that there are several factors that influence earnings, those are your experience, certification, education and, of course, state.
To be a good respiratory therapist, you should maintain your certificate by taking appropriate courses and constantly improving your skills and knowledge. We encourage you to contact the schools and training providers in your local area, Brookhaven NY and greater New York to find out more about the courses and educational training available to advance your career prospects.