Respiratory Therapy in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Respiratory Therapists are specialist healthcare practitioners who treat patients with who suffer from asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Their work is, perhaps, one of the most demanding, intense and important among all the healthcare practitioners. These people provide life support for patients in the most critical situations. Their work is crucial because its success determines if a person survives, as they are responsible for stabilizing patient’s condition for the rest crew of doctors to be able to proceed with their work in emergency department or operating room. This profession is highly specialized, we encourage you to read further to discover more about this profession and the courses and training available at schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to prepare you for the challenges this career offers.
Typical Activities Involved in Being a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and New York
Respiratory Therapists perform a wide variety of activities because they are to provide a range of different services to their patents. The basic services and skills which all the practitioners in the field of Respiratory Therapy should provide and acquire include:
- Disease assessment and diagnosis;
- Patient’s condition management and treatment;
- Development of proper course applying analytical thinking, which includes prescribing medications and designing a program for exercise training; and Patient’s support and counseling in order to teach them how to manage their disease and control their condition.
However, depending on the role of respiratory therapist, some specific activities may be required:
- Asthma specialists educate people in all healthcare and educational facilities on asthma and all the kinds of allergy;
- Anesthesia assistants provide assistance to an anesthesiologist during the operation and may perform anesthesia in case of emergency;
- Some respiratory therapists wok with oncologists in management and treatment of cystic fibrosis in patients with cancer adhering the developed treatment plan to their specific needs;
- Professionals working in intensive care medicine are to manage extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) to avoid heart and respiratory failure. These procedures may be performed only be registered respiratory therapists;
- Surface and air transport specialists are the respiratory practitioners who support people’s lives in air and ground medical services;
- Sleep disorder specialist investigate and research cases during sleep to manage sleep disorders;
- Respiratory scientists work in team with pulmonologists to carry out clinic studies to enhance the knowledge about humans’ anatomy and develop effective ways of treatment of the cardiopulmonary diseases.
Respiratory Therapy Schools in New York
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Respiratory Care
- BS - Rehabilitation Sciences
- AS - Physical Therapist Assistant
At FLSM, we really, really love what we do. We believe in the power of bodywork because, well, because we've seen it work. And we also believe in our students and our graduates, because hey, authentic passion is contagious, and our students demonstrate the same affection for the field of massage therapy that we do.
FLSM opened its first campus, in Ithaca, in 1994. Due to the success of that campus and continued projected growth in the field of massage therapy, we opened our second campus, in Mount Kisco, in 2008.
We are proud to say that Finger Lakes School of Massage has produced, and continues to produce, well-trained, passionate, dedicated, and satisfied graduates that embody the spirit of trust, cooperation and integrity that FLSM prides itself on.
- Massage Therapy
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy, that career can be yours.
- Massage Therapy
The Center For Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy Offers:
- Full-time and Part-time Classes
- Hands-On Training in multiple modalities of bodywork
- Experienced and Dedicated Faculty
- Innovative and Cutting-edge Curriculum
- Financial Aid for those who qualify
- Scholarship and Grant Opportunities
- LIFETIME Career Placement Services
The Center for Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy is the perfect place to start training for your massage therapy career.
- Diploma in Massage Therapy
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Founded in 1890, the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development is dedicated to educating students for social change both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The School offers programs on campus and online in fields such as applied psychology, education, health, media, music, and art. All programs are led by expert faculty who encourage students to pursue knowledge and skills both inside and outside the classroom.
The Counseling@NYU online program from NYU Steinhardt confers a master of arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness degree. The Counseling@NYU program is accredited by the Masters in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) under the Masters in Counseling Accreditation Committee (MCAC) standards.
- Master of Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Specific Study, Training and Courses Required to Become a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and New York
To master a profession of a respiratory therapist, it is necessary first to obtain a degree or relevant course in respiratory science and therapy. Then one must pass the examinations and certification. Thus, the first step is to follow one of the associate programs, which are offered by various educational institutions.
We recommend that you consult the schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York to determine the most appropriate course and training program as well as the procedures for undertaking the exams. Most course takes a minimum of 18 months to complete.
Academic Subjects that Are Covered by Respiratory Therapy Courses in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Becoming a respiratory specialist requires one taking several steps.
- Step number one is getting at least an associate degree.
- Step number two is enrolling in a respiratory therapy program and completing a two-year therapy-training program provided by an accredited training provider or school in Brookhaven NY and greater New York.
- Step number three is passing clinical hands-on program
- Step number four is getting cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification and getting a license (it is usually required in some states).
As a respiratory specialist, one will have to obtain basic medical education and thus, master all related academic subjects. As there are many colleges and schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York that offer respiratory therapy programs, the curriculum may differ a bit. However, you will definitely learn such disciplines as cardiopulmonary physiology, pathophysiology, human anatomy, microbiology and biomedical engineering and technology. In other words, you will deal with all the science-oriented courses offered by a chosen program.
Median Salary of a Respiratory Therapist in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Today, there is an increase in employment of respiratory technologist and therapists, according to the top list of the most demanded jobs, this one is one of the fastest growing professions. In the year 2011, the average yearly salary of the therapist was $ 55,250. In the year 2013, the average hourly salary for the respiratory specialist is $27.05, making it $56,260 per year. However, you should remember that there are several factors that influence earnings, those are your experience, certification, education and, of course, state.
To be a good respiratory therapist, you should maintain your certificate by taking appropriate courses and constantly improving your skills and knowledge. We encourage you to contact the schools and training providers in your local area, Brookhaven NY and greater New York to find out more about the courses and educational training available to advance your career prospects.